To become a Rides for Seniors client, you must meet all the following qualifications:
- Age 60 or older
- Live in Contra Costa County.
- Able to walk with the aid of a cane, walker, knee scooter, crutches, or elbow assistance.
- Requires escorted, door-through-door assistance.
- Able to call in to request rides.
- Unable to use other forms of transportation for medical or dental care and basic necessities.
- Trained, certified service animals welcome.
Mobility Matters offers ambulatory, otherwise home bound senior residents of Contra Costa County free, one-on-one, door-through-door rides provided by volunteer drivers. These rides are primarily for the purpose of obtaining medical care, groceries, and other basic necessities. Training for volunteer drivers includes learning and practicing safety techniques. We always need more volunteer drivers, so if you are interested please click here to volunteer (Please note the requirements in the box to the right).
The Rides for Seniors program was added to fill a gap in services for seniors who no longer drive and cannot access other forms of transportation. Unless they are able to use public transportation, paratransit vans, or cabs that provide only curb-to-curb service, seniors often have difficulty in accessing medical care and obtaining basic necessities. In our society, mobility = independence, so without a safe and available alternative to driving, the end result for seniors is often long term institutionalization or deteriorating health.
If you need rides, click here to apply.